Skip to main content

Citizens of Heaven: reflections on how the lack of speaking and understanding a language make me a foreigner.



I have experienced life as a foreigner in varying degrees over the majority of my life, probably beginning on my first short term missions trip (to Uganda) 22 years ago (yes, 22 years…yikes!). I don’t recall feeling so much a foreigner on that trip, but I was changed, and became a distinct “foreigner” upon my return to Canada. I think it was then that I began to learn how to die to myself and began to desire to live out James 1:27 (in it’s entirety – I yearned to live out true religion by taking care of orphans and widows AND by remaining unpolluted by the secular world)

*note: I am far from perfect, and simultaneously began a fight against sin, as once convicted of something, once one knows the good that they should do and they do not do it, they then sin… the struggle against the flesh is real, but with every victory, as sin is put to death and as I choose to live life in the Spirit, I am learning more and more how to live a life separate from the world.   


I have experienced life as a spiritual foreigner as well as an actual foreigner. I enjoy spending time with people of different cultures as well as visiting different places and learning how to live alongside different people and cultures. And, as all marriages are to some degree, I have learnt (am learning) communication between different cultures, different (English) languages, and between the male and female heart/mind.

I find it (relatively) easy to fit in with Africans (or at least fellow Christians from both East and West Africa - and love the opportunity that we have in the Greater Vancouver area of BC, to meet and do life with so many cultures!). 

The biggest challenge for me is always the language. Even where I can speak the language, like with Spanish (and English!), there are aspects of how language is affected by culture, and where communication may not flow smoothly when speaking a mutually-understood language with someone of another culture.

I am feeling that right now more than ever before, as we visit family in Uganda. The Apostle Paul talks about language in 1 Corinthians 14. He is more specifically writing about speaking in “tongues”, and having order and translation/interpretation in the Church, but he refers to the importance of understanding each other, and how lack of knowing a language makes us foreigners.

I have never been made so aware of how much I am a foreigner than these past few weeks, at home with my husband’s family in Acowa, Uganda. I am yearning for fellowship in English, and am made aware of how much the inability to communicate in a common language makes us feel like foreigners. The only time that I (we) have word-for-word translation is at Church, but otherwise, we sometimes have the gist of something translated, but are mostly “in the dark” about what is being said. Of course, my husband can speak English and knows how to translate, but he is working on finishing the house for my in-laws), and two of my sisters-in-law (who live at home in the village) can speak English and translate basics, but they are not very talkative (though, getting better) ;)

We had an amazing visit with our dear friends Shadrach and Sarah the other weekend, in Kobwin. They are all from the same tribe, have the same culture, foods, and mother-tongue, but they speak English! It was such a blessing to sit down and visit with Sarah (and also debrief a bit with her too!), speaking the same language makes a world of difference!

I love our family, and love spending time in the village with them, and although I would rather not live in a mud hut, and I enjoy the comforts of running water, electricity, and comfortable furniture (there is just something about sitting on a comfy couch/sofa instead of a hard chair or a mat on the ground…), but if God called us to live in the village (in a mud hut or otherwise), I could quickly adjust, and die to all of those things.  But my greatest struggle would remain the language and the desire to communicate on a deeper level.

I still have some more dying to do, and some more learning how to live as a foreigner –not just in the village with my family, but learning FROM how they live, and choosing to live a life unpolluted by the world, wherever I am.


More on my experience and lessons learned in living in the village, next time!

Reader’s Favourites

Passionate for Truth: If you are a born-again Christian, do you use the JW Bible or Book of Mormon? What if I told you that Jesus appeared to me with insight into re-translating the Bible? What If I added words to the Bible and made it available for Christians everywhere?

“I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.” Revelation 22:18-19 “And now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the rules that I am teaching you, and do them, that you may live, and go in and take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.” Deuteronomy 4:1-2 “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” Proverbs 30:5-6  In the Garden with Eve and in the dessert with Jesus, Satan used the Word of God too... ...

An old lesson from ants - written in 2010

A LESSON FROM ANTS With gazillions of little ants as roommates, I have been learning a lot of lessons. Some are practical lessons, like on Bible Study night I can’t serve coffee cake or banana bread until after the study, because if it is sitting on the table for more than 20 minutes the entire table will be covered with ants! Or making sure that the kitchen is clean before bed, dishes washed and counters wiped with vinegar. Other lessons are lessons on how to keep ants away from certain areas, like: leaving the honey jar in a dish with vinegar water works for keeping them out of the honey, but if the water has no vinegar they will still find a way of reaching the sweet smelling lid, or that chalk drawn around openings in walls or around crib legs deter ants, but on the windowsill a line of chalk is not thick enough and instead pouring baby powder will both deter the ants and make the room smell nice. But the best lessons learned from the ants are see...

Excerpt from Chapters One & Fifteen of Samuel's testimony/book

1 Ingoratok: People from Ngora From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. Acts 17:26 MY FAMILY COMES FROM WHAT is now the District of Ngora, in Uganda, East Africa. And before that, as history tells it, my people were traveling for generations. My ancestors originally came from the Mediterranean, which perhaps is why even today our language has some similarities with the romance languages of the Mediterranean. Words such as emesa which means “table” in my mother tongue of Ateso, is very similar to the Spanish translation mesa, to name but one of many examples. From the Mediterranean, we travelled down through Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan and then down through Uganda and Kenya. We arrived in Uganda around 1600 AD. As we travelled, we left settlers along the way, including the present-day Kalenjin, Maasai and Jie peoples of Kenya, the Kuuku of Sout...

More of life in the village - began writing in the village, and will slowly finish this week

As I sit here to write, I am surrounded by small children –some nephews, a little orphaned girl, and a great-nephew, plus some of my own children coming and going. I came to the church building to write, because the internet reception is better, the heat is not as intense, and I thought I would be alone – if I could speak the language I might ask them to leave for a little while, but I think that choosing love, and bearing the noise of all the “emotokars” (cars made of pieces of wood –that don’t resemble cars, but with an imagination and some good sound effects, they become perfect cars!)…in the time that it took to write that, they realized that I wasn’t looking at pictures or doing anything interesting, so they took their cars outside –but left a baby behind to play on the dirt floor. Actually, the floor is not dirt, it is made of cow dung. Here is Benjamin’s description of the [making of the] cow-dung floor: “I watched one of my cousins make a cow-poop-floor. First, they coll...

Brave Heart (April 2007)

Brave Heart April 11, 2007 thoughts on faith, being brave, being strong and living a life of love. (imagining a stage, with light shining down, and mew, standing behind the curtain and peeking out, too afraid to step out). I cannot step through the curtain and into the light. Of myself, I cannot. But I know whom I believe in and HE is able.  I know that He did not take me out this far only to leave me. He is faithful and His Word will not return to Him void. I have fallen, but He will never let me stay down. He has healed me and saved me and will continue to use me for His glory.  I will advance in faith and commit my life to the Lord and allow Him to change me and to make me more like Himself -even when it hurts. My identity is in Christ and not in my ministry. I will seek Him and his Kingdom. I will pursue intimacy and fight the good fight. I will not quit, I will finish the race.  The vision that God has given me is so huge, so amazing -and it is not m...

¿Women Pastors?

I am writing this blog post for Christian women and for Church leaders - who believe that God’s written WORD (Genesis to Revelation) is the INSPIRED, God-BREATHED, INFALLIBLE, and UNCHANGING, and AUTHORITATIVE Word and command and instruction of God. We need to submit to the authority of God’s Word. Does the Bible permit women to be pastors or to preach? (Pastor/shepherd is a position of leadership and teaching and authority in the Church). If we don’t think biblically then we will default to thinking culturally; our culture would say that women should be pastors). An overview of womanhood starts in Genesis 1, where God created man male and female His image. Both male and female are essential to the full revelation of God’s glory. He didn’t just create man. Women have unique, special capacities both physically, mentally, and emotionally that are different from men. And we should celebrate the differences between manhood and womanhood. In Genesis we also see that it was the w...

Book Trailer. Living in the Shadow of Death: From a Child of War to an A...

It has been 15 months since our first book launch (November 2017)! After being able to share the story with Samuel’s family - reading it to them in the village, as we sat under the stars, outside of our mud hut with grass-thatched roof - we have decided to edit the title and a few small details, and to print it again. The book is on Amazon and Kindle - and coming to iBooks and bookstores soon! Click here to see our Amazon Author Page

God’s Sufficient Grace - and my “stroke-like symptoms”

Here is a little update on my health... All of the neurology and rheumatology appointments went well and there was no pathological reason for a stroke, my brain and heart are all normal -praise God! A hair analysis did show heavy metals, and the neurologist said the symptoms were all “migraine-related” (did you know you can have a migraine without a headache?) The advice is to do a heavy-metal detox, take supplements like magnesium and Ubiquinol (among others), to have massage therapy, do stretches, and to rest more. My  diagnosis was also changed from Lupus to Fibromyalgia -which have similar symptoms, but which means that there is no risk to organ damage or deterioration (I also have a congenital back problem which adds to the pain and stress on my body). If you missed why I was seeing a Nuerologist in the first place, here is what I wrote in July: I had a mini stroke or TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), on Saturday June 22nd. Below is what I wrote on facebook:...

“Palm Sunday”. Thinking about Worship, “social distancing” & examining ourselves and our Gospel message

Psalm 139:23, 24 “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” 2 Corinthians 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?  Jesus was welcomed into Jerusalem by a crowd full of people singing and rejoicing over miracles. When Nicodemus came to Jesus and said that they (the Jewish leaders) knew that He must be from God because of the signs/miracles, Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)  The Jewish people had been waiting for the Messiah, and the entire Old Testament is full of messianic prophesies - on the road to Emmeaus, after His resurrection, Jesus went through the entire scripture to teach that it was all about Himself. The mes...