Skip to main content

Life in the village, as a parable that points to Christ and to eternity



I have stepped out of the village for one week, and am spending time with my sister and her family in Kampala (with my 4 littles). Samuel is still in the village and working hard to finish a permanent brick house for our extended family there. We began this house 9 years ago, and it has been very slowly taking shape. Unfortunately, not much can be accomplished with any quality, without Samuel overseeing (even now, if he leaves a “professional” builder to work on one portion of the house, while he is on the other side, he can come back and find that no level has been used, and the work needs to be redone). 

As I wrotelast time, I could die to certain life comforts, and would gladly count them a loss for Christ, but still struggle with being a foreigner with the language. We haven’t been called to live and minister long term in an African village (at this point in our lives). So, I am enjoying a visit with my sister before spending the next few weeks in the village and then heading home to Canada.

I am enjoying the comforts of electricity, running water, living indoors, comfortable furniture, and speaking English. But in no way do I think that I am “above” the village life. And, I was honestly torn between wanting to spend time with my sister (and needing to do some homeschool and reporting, and ministry work where the internet (while slow compared to Canadian standards) actually works) …and staying in the village with Samuel’s family, connecting with them more, and (although with the language struggle persisting) learning from them.

I have been learning a lot these past few weeks in the village. About myself, my children, human nature, and so much more. As I sit down to really examine myself and my thoughts, and to reflect on the past month in the village, I will try not to bore you with this blog…I will just write a description of what life in the village looks like, with a few lessons on culture and on life along the way.

Life in the village

To some, this village experience is a completely foreign concept, to others it is a normal way of life, and to others still, it is perhaps like my own experience. Perhaps you too live in a city or even in another country, but visit family in the village. Wayfaring between two worlds – two worlds that exist in different time zones – not the time zones of our globe, but a time zone which feels like time travel across centuries.

So, what is the village life like? There may be a thousand answers to that question, but I will not attempt to answer it absolutely. Here is my description of our village though:

As soon as our car tires leave the tarmac and hit the bumpy dirt road, we have left the city of Soroti (really a small town which also looks (and behaves) a good 100 years behind the current year in Canada, in most respects). The bumpy dirt road heads North East, and is equipped with “bridges” of dirt and pipes that cross the dry-looking swamps. We pass through a few “trading centres” and finally pass the town of Amuria, which has a single round-a-bout, a few shops, one restaurant, an internet café, and a small “petrol station”. Leaving Amuria behind, we drive toward and then through the trading centre of Acowa, and then see our destination about 500 meters ahead. If you are not used to driving in nature, and use buildings as landmarks, then you might miss it: the two large trees on the right (one is a mango tree), and the “foot-path” between them. That is where we turn.

Our vehicle has widened the path a bit, but it is not a road nor a driveway, it is a dirt path meant for pedestrians, and the odd bicycle or “boda-boda” (motorbike used as a taxi).

We pass by a few fields of sweet potatoes and/or cassava, a few goats and chickens, and three “homesteads” of several round huts clustered together around a compound (yard) where (in this season) potatoes are drying on the ground, we also pass a few children (usually covered in dust and wearing clothes that are worn thin, with holes), the young children carry babies or water, or homemade toys for playing.

We turn at the large stump, and bump along the path until we can see “home”.

The entrance to our family’s home has a large oval shaped building made of mud bricks and cow dung. The walls are about three feet high, and the grass thatched roof hangs down to almost cover the “windows”, above that wall. There are two openings or doorways into this building, and one has to duck to get under the roof when entering (but can stand tall once inside). The roof is held up by 3 large tree branches (or small trunks). This is the church building.

The church building is to the right, and to the left is our well (which is flush with the ground, and covered with a concrete lid and iron sheet), and the entrance to our large compound. The compound is surrounded by 7 round mud-huts with grass thatched roofs.

In the middle of the compound is where we are building a house (approximately 4,000 square feet, including what will be screened in patios). The house is almost a duplex, with two houses in one – but with an access door between them, for sharing space. One side will have “our house”, for when we come to visit (and to share with other visitors too), and the other side is for my in-laws: Papa & Tata, two sisters (plus any who come to visit- Samuel has 9 sisters), and then there is Deborah who was widowed by Samuel’s only (living) brother in 2016. And there are 8 fatherless children who will live there too (Deborah has 6, another sister has 1, and then another girl has been taken in by Samuel’s mom). Culturally, we are responsible for 6 of those children (aged: infant to 10 years).

The huts surrounding that house, are where our family is living right now. The huts are really for sleeping and changing in, as the “living” all happens outside. One hut is for cooking, and one hut was built just for us for this visit (and our hut has a smooth cement floor, while theirs all have cow-dung/dirt floors).

The cooking hut has a few cooking spots around the exterior, and one inside. The goat, calf, and lamb also sleep tied to that house. Cooking is done over an open fire, with the saucepan (pot-without handles) balancing on three large rocks. Dishes are washed at a wooden “washing station” beside the cooking hut.

There is also a small semi-circular “hut” without a roof, used for bathing.

Our hut is just big enough to fit a queen size foam mattress on the floor, with a single mattress beside it. When stepping through the doorway, there is about 1.5 feet to step before stepping on the bed. We keep a blue bin of school supplies beside the door to the left, and use that as a “nightstand” too. To the right, behind the open door is space for a large blue bin, with our suitcase and carry-on case on top of that. Then there is about half a foot space (or less) between the single mattress and a brick wall. Stepping around/beside that mattress to the right, and around the corner of that brick wall is a little 2x4 foot “shower” room with a small drain. We have a shower bag that heats up in the sun, and then hangs (from my “mommy hook”) from the stick/branch beams that hold up the grass thatched roof (and/or we “bucket bathe”. I am SO thankful for that shower room!

How do 6 people sleep on those two mattresses? We sleep with thanksgiving for having mattresses, as many people (like my husband as he grew up), don’t have a mattress. The kids sleep side by side across the queen size mattress. I sleep at their feet (sometimes getting a massage from their toes in the night), and Samuel sleeps on the single mattress. We have mosquito nets around the beds, which help keep debris from the roof and walls, bugs, chameleon droppings, rats, and other critters out of our beds. We actually haven’t seen a single mosquito in the village (although Eleanora got malaria when we were staying a few days in the nearest city of Soroti).

Samuel is working REALLY hard on building the house (no exaggeration, my husband does more work (and more quickly) than his other 3-5 construction workers and their labourers combined –and even our children ask, “why does daddy do all the work?” –not that the others are not working, just not in comparison).

The children and I are enjoying the simplicity of life in the village. We are getting lots of homeschool work accomplished, and some things feel like a “field trip”, as we study grade 3 Canadian history (of the early settlers and First Nations Peoples in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s). Everything from food preparation, farming, hunting, food preservation, using a mortar, using a charcoal iron, handwashing clothes, fetching water, and more is being experienced first hand.

Things are more “simple” (less materialism, less/different social life), but also more complicated. Complicated in that it just takes so long to do everything – like cooking: fetch water, fetch firewood, build fire, slowly boil water, kill and clean a chicken, cook food, serve it, then start next dish/meal for the next “shift” of people eating. The kids and I are always served first, then the other kids, then the construction workers, then the women who did all of the cooking. Next comes washing all the dishes (or washing between shifts for some things), and all of this is without running water.

The women (and girls!) do SO much work, from waking up early to go to the gardens, to all of the cooking, washing, cleaning, sweeping (even the dirt floors and the ground in the dusty compound get swept), childcare, some animal care, fetching water (for our family at least for the past 2.5 years that water usually comes from our own well –otherwise, (and for construction), it involves walking long distances and carrying heavy jerry-cans of water back on their heads. The boys take care of the animals (bringing them to graze and for water), and take care of some home repairs. The women also do most of the building when it comes to mud huts, and they build the cow-dung floors and “floor” in the compound for drying potatoes (and other harvests), they sit and peel thousands of potatoes, slice and chop, dry, and store them, and so much more! Papa hunts, collects honey, takes care of and trades cows (he trades cows like some might trade $ on the stock exchange)

In comparison, I feel like I don’t do anything (aside from homeschooling, taking care of my own kids and my own hut). I do jump in to help with peeling potatoes, some childcare, and whatever else I see (and am “allowed”) to do, but I am treated as a guest of honour for now, and my younger sisters-in-law do not “let” me do anything. If I begin handwashing my/our clothes, a sister quickly comes to take over! I don’t do any cooking either. I have driven the van to the bore hole so the sisters can fill all of our jerry cans, and do help to carry the water to where it needs to be, but otherwise, I was actually feeling quite “useless”, and had a particularly difficult evening a few weeks ago, which lead to a “family meeting” with myself, my mother-in-law, 4 sisters-in-law and my husband. They were very kind, and all assured me that they want to serve me and do not want me to feel out of place, but do not want me to have to do anything –that is their culture; they are blessed to have us visiting, and to be able to get to know our children, and to be blessed with the house – and in return, they want to bless me and serve me/us, and want to make sure that I don’t feel bad about it, but blessed by them. So, I am enjoying the blessing, and taking more time to do homeschool, and also to read God’s Word with my children.

We have no entertainment, and not many books either, so the kids ask me several times throughout our days in the village if we can read the Bible, and we are having great discussions too – and hopefully getting into a good habit that won’t change when we go back to Canada (or back to the mission field in El Salvador).

Aside from the culture of honouring me as a guest, and not “allowing” me to do any work, there are a few other major cultural differences between my Canadian (multi-cultural) background, and the culture of the Teso people. A few differences, which affect my/our daily living are:

 The Teso people, much like other African tribes greet each other much differently. I am used to shaking hands with strangers, hugging close friends and most sisters-in-Christ, side-hugging most brothers in Christ, and then in El Salvador kissing (or “pretending” to kiss) on the cheek.
 I am learning that:
·      when greeting, female relatives or sisters-in-Christ, after a long absence, hug shoulder-to-shoulder first touching right shoulders and then left shoulders (facing each other).  (also applies when men greet men?)
·      If not after a long absence then women (or friends or same gender? – still learning!) greet by shaking hands, and often remain holding hands or doing a “secret hand shake” moving hands from horizontal to vertical.
·      When a female child is greeting an adult (including when my nieces greet me), or when a woman is greeting a man, or when a younger woman (or same age, but giving honour) greets another woman, the woman/girl kneels or “curtsies”. Some African tribes, like that of my brother-in-law (whose home I am staying in right now in Kampala), kneel down all the way to greet, but the Teso can “half-kneel”, or put one knee down, or almost squat –like what I know as a “curtsy” - all of this kneeling or curtsying is done while also extending a hand to shake/hold, and while verbally greeting.

The Teso (and other African) culture is also very different when it comes to dining: many minor things are different, like the type of food, how they cook, eating with hands (usually), and the schedule for meals. Breakfast of millet porridge (drink) is served anytime between 9-11, lunch between 2:30-4pm, porridge again between 5-7pm, and then supper/dinner between 9-11pm  (usually after my children are in bed, satisfied with the porridge drink). But the more significant difference for me, is that not everyone eats together.

Papa eats alone at a little table on the other side of the compound (or with my husband if I am not around), Tata and daughters and grandchildren eat together on a mat/tarp/ground, guests (which for now includes myself and my children) eat separately (in our own “dining” hut, at a little table). Guests and men in the family are brought water and a basin and a girl kneels down to pour water over each person’s hands as they wash (my sisters did this for us the first couple of weeks, but now I wash my family’s hands).

This week at my sister’s home I am enjoying being able to do my own laundry, help in the kitchen, and (above all) visit and communicate freely in my mother-tongue of English.

And, as I end this blog post, I am still reflecting on so many lessons that I am learning. Lessons on dying to myself, and being satisfied in Christ (not needing anything besides Him). Lessons on devotion, on being fully devoted to Christ and to the most important things of life (loving and glorifying God – growing and leading/teaching my children in their growth in our love & knowledge of God, knowing and obeying God’s commands – the greatest of which is to love Him with our whole selves and to love our neighbours). Learning not to be distracted and not needing anything outside of a relationship with Christ…

I read a book by John Piper yesterday in which he equated his marriage to a parable about Christ and His Church… that’s what this is – this village life, this simple, focused and undistracted life, it is a parable of Christ… I read in a Mommy Wars book once too, about a missionary to Africa who compared her giving up certain things to fasting – fasting from electricity, from running water, from the “comforts” of home in N. America. I went into this time in the village with that “fast” in mind, willing to give things up for the sake of knowing and serving Christ (and by serving, for now, it is really serving Christ through serving my husband and caring for my own children as the "least of theses" and doing it as unto Christ). I think that "fasting" mindset has helped, but ultimately, it is about learning to be content no matter what the circumstances, and to continually press on toward the goal of knowing Christ, and to spending an eternity with Him.

I am still learning, but am so thankful for the lessons begun, and I look forward to the next few weeks at home in the village, especially to building relationships and to sharing the Gospel – and to showing the Jesus Film in the local language of Ateso! God is so good, and I am so thankful for this time.

Thanks for reading, and may you be encouraged, wherever you are in life, and wherever you live, to be thankful, and to live a life uncluttered and unpolluted by the (secular) world, and to be thankful and content in plenty AND in want. And may your life be a parable that points to Christ and to eternity – for this is all a shadow, the best is yet to come!





Reader’s Favourites

Oh Uganda, may God Uphold Thee

(Warning, this is a "political post": but, we believe without a doubt that it is God who sets up and takes down kings, and ultimately they SERVE Him - God IS the KING over all kings and HE is on His Throne. Uganda needs PRAYER, above all. This is not a post against Museveni, but about democracy , and for the people!) Samuel wrote a beautiful post about his country, and the need for peaceful change, that I wanted to share. It is in response to the recent unrest and protests over the proposed Constitutional change, allowing for President Yoweri Museveni to continue as President, even in his old age. He has already changed the Constitution, to allow himself to "serve" as President for more than two terms. He has been in power since he was sworn in, after (during) a war on Obote, as the  new president. Museveni promised a return to democracy at his inauguration on January 29, 1986:  "The people of Africa, the people of Uganda, are entitled to a democratic g

“Palm Sunday”. Thinking about Worship, “social distancing” & examining ourselves and our Gospel message

Psalm 139:23, 24 “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” 2 Corinthians 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?  Jesus was welcomed into Jerusalem by a crowd full of people singing and rejoicing over miracles. When Nicodemus came to Jesus and said that they (the Jewish leaders) knew that He must be from God because of the signs/miracles, Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)  The Jewish people had been waiting for the Messiah, and the entire Old Testament is full of messianic prophesies - on the road to Emmeaus, after His resurrection, Jesus went through the entire scripture to teach that it was all about Himself. The messianic pr

Passionate for Truth: If you are a born-again Christian, do you use the JW Bible or Book of Mormon? What if I told you that Jesus appeared to me with insight into re-translating the Bible? What If I added words to the Bible and made it available for Christians everywhere?

“I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.” Revelation 22:18-19 “And now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the rules that I am teaching you, and do them, that you may live, and go in and take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.” Deuteronomy 4:1-2 “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” Proverbs 30:5-6  In the Garden with Eve and in the dessert with Jesus, Satan used the Word of God too...

Reflecting on Child Soldiers and IDPs in Soroti, 2004: Journal Entry and Poem

Child  Soldier (Reflecting again on meeting child soldiers in Soroti, Uganda in 2004)  Although I didn't know it at the time, I met my husband - and even interviewed him- in Soroti Town in 2004. That visit will forever be etched on my memory. We have just published the second edition to Samuel's story now. Having freshly re-read and edited every page, I have again re-lived his story as if it is my own (which is probably why I have been feeling so exhausted lately!). Imagining life as an Internally Displaced Person (IDP), living on a battlefield and surviving in the jungles, is one thing; remembering the child soldiers and child wives that we met is another. The picture on the right, and the one below, are of IDPs in Soroti. They have beautiful smiles, and while they were completely displaced and spread out throughout the city, seeking safety from Kony's army that rampaged villages in the district, they were still "innocent". The children that we me

Old Poem about being pressured into Abortion, thinking about "Eradicating suffering through abortion"...

There are so many reasons that a woman choses to have an abortion...our family has worked closely with Crisis Pregnancy Centres and I have heard many stories... but it is the very odd woman who actually has a personal desire to end a pregnancy and who actually believes that what she is doing is morally right. But, there are entire nations who have brainwashed their citizens into thinking that in some cases it really is the best option... Below is a poem that I wrote about a particular case, a VERY long time ago...her case was unique in that she was not just being pressured by society nor financial or other life circumstances, but she was in an abusive relationship and being pressured into having a late-term abortion, by the baby's father. We named her, "Prayer". Not all cases are like this, and every case, like every person is unique. But, regardless, my personal belief is that there is never a situation where abortion is the answer. And, if you think that you are in a

Excerpt from Chapters One & Fifteen of Samuel's testimony/book

1 Ingoratok: People from Ngora From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. Acts 17:26 MY FAMILY COMES FROM WHAT is now the District of Ngora, in Uganda, East Africa. And before that, as history tells it, my people were traveling for generations. My ancestors originally came from the Mediterranean, which perhaps is why even today our language has some similarities with the romance languages of the Mediterranean. Words such as emesa which means “table” in my mother tongue of Ateso, is very similar to the Spanish translation mesa, to name but one of many examples. From the Mediterranean, we travelled down through Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan and then down through Uganda and Kenya. We arrived in Uganda around 1600 AD. As we travelled, we left settlers along the way, including the present-day Kalenjin, Maasai and Jie peoples of Kenya, the Kuuku of Sout

More of life in the village - began writing in the village, and will slowly finish this week

As I sit here to write, I am surrounded by small children –some nephews, a little orphaned girl, and a great-nephew, plus some of my own children coming and going. I came to the church building to write, because the internet reception is better, the heat is not as intense, and I thought I would be alone – if I could speak the language I might ask them to leave for a little while, but I think that choosing love, and bearing the noise of all the “emotokars” (cars made of pieces of wood –that don’t resemble cars, but with an imagination and some good sound effects, they become perfect cars!)…in the time that it took to write that, they realized that I wasn’t looking at pictures or doing anything interesting, so they took their cars outside –but left a baby behind to play on the dirt floor. Actually, the floor is not dirt, it is made of cow dung. Here is Benjamin’s description of the [making of the] cow-dung floor: “I watched one of my cousins make a cow-poop-floor. First, they coll

Citizens of Heaven: reflections on how the lack of speaking and understanding a language make me a foreigner.

I have experienced life as a foreigner in varying degrees over the majority of my life, probably beginning on my first short term missions trip (to Uganda) 22 years ago (yes, 22 years…yikes!). I don’t recall feeling so much a foreigner on that trip, but I was changed, and became a distinct “foreigner” upon my return to Canada. I think it was then that I began to learn how to die to myself and began to desire to live out James 1:27 (in it’s entirety – I yearned to live out true religion by taking care of orphans and widows AND by remaining unpolluted by the secular world) *note: I am far from perfect, and simultaneously began a fight against sin, as once convicted of something, once one knows the good that they should do and they do not do it, they then sin… the struggle against the flesh is real, but with every victory, as sin is put to death and as I choose to live life in the Spirit, I am learning more and more how to live a life separate from the world.     I have ex

Brave Heart (April 2007)

Brave Heart April 11, 2007 thoughts on faith, being brave, being strong and living a life of love. (imagining a stage, with light shining down, and mew, standing behind the curtain and peeking out, too afraid to step out). I cannot step through the curtain and into the light. Of myself, I cannot. But I know whom I believe in and HE is able.  I know that He did not take me out this far only to leave me. He is faithful and His Word will not return to Him void. I have fallen, but He will never let me stay down. He has healed me and saved me and will continue to use me for His glory.  I will advance in faith and commit my life to the Lord and allow Him to change me and to make me more like Himself -even when it hurts. My identity is in Christ and not in my ministry. I will seek Him and his Kingdom. I will pursue intimacy and fight the good fight. I will not quit, I will finish the race.  The vision that God has given me is so huge, so amazing -and it is not mine, it is His

¿Women Pastors?

I am writing this blog post for Christian women and for Church leaders - who believe that God’s written WORD (Genesis to Revelation) is the INSPIRED, God-BREATHED, INFALLIBLE, and UNCHANGING, and AUTHORITATIVE Word and command and instruction of God. We need to submit to the authority of God’s Word. Does the Bible permit women to be pastors or to preach? (Pastor/shepherd is a position of leadership and teaching and authority in the Church). If we don’t think biblically then we will default to thinking culturally; our culture would say that women should be pastors). An overview of womanhood starts in Genesis 1, where God created man male and female His image. Both male and female are essential to the full revelation of God’s glory. He didn’t just create man. Women have unique, special capacities both physically, mentally, and emotionally that are different from men. And we should celebrate the differences between manhood and womanhood. In Genesis we also see that it was the w