Skip to main content

UPDATED: God's Faithfulness During Earthquakes and Natural Disasters

After feeling the whole house shake for a few minutes tonight, and checking the Salvadoran earthquake report, I am soberly reminded of the volatile world that we live in, and our need for God's grace.

The earthquake, felt here, was a magnitude 8.0 earthquake, near Palmercito, Chiapas, Mexico. Thinking of our Mexican brothers and sisters, and remembering God's words in Romans 8: 
For I consider [from the standpoint of faith] that the sufferings of the present life are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is about to be revealed to us and in us!  For [even the whole] creation [all nature] waits eagerly for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration and futility, not willingly [because of some intentional fault on its part], but by the will of Him who subjected it, in hope  that the creation itself will also be freed from its bondage to decay [and gain entrance] into the glorious freedom of the children of God.  For we know that the whole creation has been moaning together as in the pains of childbirth until now. 
And not only this, but we too, who have the first fruits of the Spirit [a joyful indication of the blessings to come], even we groan inwardly, as we wait eagerly for [the sign of] our adoption as sons—the redemption and transformation of our body [at the resurrection]. For in this hope we were saved [by faith]. But hope [the object of] which is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait eagerly for it with patience and composure.
In April, this year, I wrote the following: "Last evening, we stood by the door as a family, looking out at the storm, having just felt an earthquake. We had an emergency bag packed (with first aid kit, snacks, Emergency survival kit, etc) and then were talking about what we would do if another stronger earthquake happened... but then the rain stopped, we felt like there wasn't going to be a big one in that moment and we proceeded to clean up the flooded floors, eat our dinner and get kids ready for bed.

At bedtime, my sons were full of peace and my daughters were feeling nervous (the two year old picking up on the 5 year old's nerves I think). my 8 year old son said,   "mommy, do you know why I'm not afraid of anything? Because I know that God is bigger and in control and He is good and does everything for a good purpose" - out of the mouths of  babes, eh? 

My 5 year old daughter wanted a cuddle and to read the Bible for assurance, and also wanted to know why there are earthquakes- we read and talked about Matthew chapters 6 & 24 and also Romans 8 (28). And we talked about the fact that Jesus is coming SOON and that when we feel tremors, it is like the earth having contractions (they have felt my contractions when in labour and can relate to that). Knowing that Jesus is coming soon (whether tonight or in another thousand years) it is a reminder to be READY, to REJOICE, to WORSHIP, and to live our lives ENJOYING Him and sharing the Gospel... 

But, what if there is an earthquake and I am separated from my kids  (if they are at an art class in San Salvador and I am on the other side of the volcano at our home, for example)- my son and I talked about that, and he is ready to help his sister to remember worship songs and to pray together and to wait and trust God - even if it takes days before finding out if we are all ok- and if we are not all ok, like the man who died on our usual route yesterday - God didn't accidentally let that boulder fall- that man's days were numbered. All of our days are numbered. And, scriptures like Psalm 91 are not a guarantee that danger won't hit my house -  it IS a guarantee that if it does, God has allowed it and is with me in it.

Like in Psalm 46- read it again, it sounds like an earthquake! Though the earth change and mountains be shaken and slip into the heart of the seas... GOD IS OUR REFUGE &  STRENGTH, a very present (& well proved) help in trouble- THEREFORE, we will NOT fear!

I imagine the Israelites, with plagues all around them and then experiencing the Passover and the exodus- how awing/horrible/amazing that must have been! Yet to know that in the midst of it all, God is a REDEEMER, Slow to anger and abounding in love!

We serve a GOOD God, full of LOVE! May we live every moment and every detail of our lives, in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ... and not be alarmed or intimidated in anything (not just from persecution or the enemy's plans, but from natural disasters too - talking with my children last night, another point was that Satan does not have the power to make an earthquake or volcanic eruption or storm, THAT is the power of OUR GOOD GOD! And we can REST in HIM. 

He has also given us everything that we need for LIFE AND GODLINESS (2 Peter1:3)- and He understands our emotions and fears and bids us to come and to cast our cares on Him.

Our bedtime song was about casting our cares upon the Lord...He doesn't demand that we come to Him in perfection, but to come as we are and His perfect love casts out fear! We have been granted the privilege not only to believe but also to suffer for His sake- preparing us for and declaring to the world the truth of eternity. If that suffering comes from natural disasters may our response show the world who God is...

Rest and worship and meditate on His Word - and if needed use the things He has given for life, like chamomile and other herbs, to calm your nerves- but trusting IN Him and His goodness! "


Be blessed! 

Reader’s Favourites

Citizens of Heaven: reflections on how the lack of speaking and understanding a language make me a foreigner.

I have experienced life as a foreigner in varying degrees over the majority of my life, probably beginning on my first short term missions trip (to Uganda) 22 years ago (yes, 22 years…yikes!). I don’t recall feeling so much a foreigner on that trip, but I was changed, and became a distinct “foreigner” upon my return to Canada. I think it was then that I began to learn how to die to myself and began to desire to live out James 1:27 (in it’s entirety – I yearned to live out true religion by taking care of orphans and widows AND by remaining unpolluted by the secular world) *note: I am far from perfect, and simultaneously began a fight against sin, as once convicted of something, once one knows the good that they should do and they do not do it, they then sin… the struggle against the flesh is real, but with every victory, as sin is put to death and as I choose to live life in the Spirit, I am learning more and more how to live a life separate from the world.     ...

Passionate for Truth: If you are a born-again Christian, do you use the JW Bible or Book of Mormon? What if I told you that Jesus appeared to me with insight into re-translating the Bible? What If I added words to the Bible and made it available for Christians everywhere?

“I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.” Revelation 22:18-19 “And now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the rules that I am teaching you, and do them, that you may live, and go in and take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, is giving you. You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.” Deuteronomy 4:1-2 “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.” Proverbs 30:5-6  In the Garden with Eve and in the dessert with Jesus, Satan used the Word of God too... ...

An old lesson from ants - written in 2010

A LESSON FROM ANTS With gazillions of little ants as roommates, I have been learning a lot of lessons. Some are practical lessons, like on Bible Study night I can’t serve coffee cake or banana bread until after the study, because if it is sitting on the table for more than 20 minutes the entire table will be covered with ants! Or making sure that the kitchen is clean before bed, dishes washed and counters wiped with vinegar. Other lessons are lessons on how to keep ants away from certain areas, like: leaving the honey jar in a dish with vinegar water works for keeping them out of the honey, but if the water has no vinegar they will still find a way of reaching the sweet smelling lid, or that chalk drawn around openings in walls or around crib legs deter ants, but on the windowsill a line of chalk is not thick enough and instead pouring baby powder will both deter the ants and make the room smell nice. But the best lessons learned from the ants are see...

Excerpt from Chapters One & Fifteen of Samuel's testimony/book

1 Ingoratok: People from Ngora From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. Acts 17:26 MY FAMILY COMES FROM WHAT is now the District of Ngora, in Uganda, East Africa. And before that, as history tells it, my people were traveling for generations. My ancestors originally came from the Mediterranean, which perhaps is why even today our language has some similarities with the romance languages of the Mediterranean. Words such as emesa which means “table” in my mother tongue of Ateso, is very similar to the Spanish translation mesa, to name but one of many examples. From the Mediterranean, we travelled down through Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan and then down through Uganda and Kenya. We arrived in Uganda around 1600 AD. As we travelled, we left settlers along the way, including the present-day Kalenjin, Maasai and Jie peoples of Kenya, the Kuuku of Sout...

More of life in the village - began writing in the village, and will slowly finish this week

As I sit here to write, I am surrounded by small children –some nephews, a little orphaned girl, and a great-nephew, plus some of my own children coming and going. I came to the church building to write, because the internet reception is better, the heat is not as intense, and I thought I would be alone – if I could speak the language I might ask them to leave for a little while, but I think that choosing love, and bearing the noise of all the “emotokars” (cars made of pieces of wood –that don’t resemble cars, but with an imagination and some good sound effects, they become perfect cars!)…in the time that it took to write that, they realized that I wasn’t looking at pictures or doing anything interesting, so they took their cars outside –but left a baby behind to play on the dirt floor. Actually, the floor is not dirt, it is made of cow dung. Here is Benjamin’s description of the [making of the] cow-dung floor: “I watched one of my cousins make a cow-poop-floor. First, they coll...

Brave Heart (April 2007)

Brave Heart April 11, 2007 thoughts on faith, being brave, being strong and living a life of love. (imagining a stage, with light shining down, and mew, standing behind the curtain and peeking out, too afraid to step out). I cannot step through the curtain and into the light. Of myself, I cannot. But I know whom I believe in and HE is able.  I know that He did not take me out this far only to leave me. He is faithful and His Word will not return to Him void. I have fallen, but He will never let me stay down. He has healed me and saved me and will continue to use me for His glory.  I will advance in faith and commit my life to the Lord and allow Him to change me and to make me more like Himself -even when it hurts. My identity is in Christ and not in my ministry. I will seek Him and his Kingdom. I will pursue intimacy and fight the good fight. I will not quit, I will finish the race.  The vision that God has given me is so huge, so amazing -and it is not m...

¿Women Pastors?

I am writing this blog post for Christian women and for Church leaders - who believe that God’s written WORD (Genesis to Revelation) is the INSPIRED, God-BREATHED, INFALLIBLE, and UNCHANGING, and AUTHORITATIVE Word and command and instruction of God. We need to submit to the authority of God’s Word. Does the Bible permit women to be pastors or to preach? (Pastor/shepherd is a position of leadership and teaching and authority in the Church). If we don’t think biblically then we will default to thinking culturally; our culture would say that women should be pastors). An overview of womanhood starts in Genesis 1, where God created man male and female His image. Both male and female are essential to the full revelation of God’s glory. He didn’t just create man. Women have unique, special capacities both physically, mentally, and emotionally that are different from men. And we should celebrate the differences between manhood and womanhood. In Genesis we also see that it was the w...

Book Trailer. Living in the Shadow of Death: From a Child of War to an A...

It has been 15 months since our first book launch (November 2017)! After being able to share the story with Samuel’s family - reading it to them in the village, as we sat under the stars, outside of our mud hut with grass-thatched roof - we have decided to edit the title and a few small details, and to print it again. The book is on Amazon and Kindle - and coming to iBooks and bookstores soon! Click here to see our Amazon Author Page

God’s Sufficient Grace - and my “stroke-like symptoms”

Here is a little update on my health... All of the neurology and rheumatology appointments went well and there was no pathological reason for a stroke, my brain and heart are all normal -praise God! A hair analysis did show heavy metals, and the neurologist said the symptoms were all “migraine-related” (did you know you can have a migraine without a headache?) The advice is to do a heavy-metal detox, take supplements like magnesium and Ubiquinol (among others), to have massage therapy, do stretches, and to rest more. My  diagnosis was also changed from Lupus to Fibromyalgia -which have similar symptoms, but which means that there is no risk to organ damage or deterioration (I also have a congenital back problem which adds to the pain and stress on my body). If you missed why I was seeing a Nuerologist in the first place, here is what I wrote in July: I had a mini stroke or TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), on Saturday June 22nd. Below is what I wrote on facebook:...

“Palm Sunday”. Thinking about Worship, “social distancing” & examining ourselves and our Gospel message

Psalm 139:23, 24 “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” 2 Corinthians 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?  Jesus was welcomed into Jerusalem by a crowd full of people singing and rejoicing over miracles. When Nicodemus came to Jesus and said that they (the Jewish leaders) knew that He must be from God because of the signs/miracles, Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)  The Jewish people had been waiting for the Messiah, and the entire Old Testament is full of messianic prophesies - on the road to Emmeaus, after His resurrection, Jesus went through the entire scripture to teach that it was all about Himself. The mes...